SCOTUS Declines to Hear Brain Damage Cases From Former Pro Wrestlers
Tuesday, April 27, 2021 | 0
The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday said it would not hear appeals from several former pro wrestlers who sued World Wrestling Entertainment, claiming the company ignored repeated head trauma that led to brain damage and other ailments, according to The Associated Press.
The nation’s high court upheld lower court decisions that dismissed the former wrestlers’ lawsuits because they were filed after the statute of limitations had expired, the AP reported.
Dozens of former wrestlers sued the WWE, which was known as the World Wrestling Federation until 2002, claiming they had suffered ongoing head injuries that eventually led to brain damage, the AP reported.
The wrestlers claimed the WWE knew its performers were at risk of suffering head injuries but did not warn them, the AP reported.
The Supreme Court’s decision ended an “array of litigation originally filed six years ago,” the AP reported.
In 2018, a U.S. District judge in Connecticut dismissed several of the lawsuits, saying there was no evidence that the company knew its wrestlers were suffering blows to the head that would result in long-term injuries such as chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE.
The judge at the time also said the lawsuits the Supreme Court decided not to hear Monday were filed after the statute of limitations expired, the AP reported.
A federal appeals court in New York upheld the 2018 rulings last year, the AP reported.